What did you purchase in the past year that became invaluable to you?
My slow cooker, hands down. How I ever lived without one for almost 30 years, I’ll never know. My dad and his wife gave me this crock pot for Christmas and I’ve used it at least twice a week since and can’t get enough (Cheaper options here and here).
Last weekend, my family was visiting and I felt the pressure to make something delicious without slaving away in the kitchen, wasting our short and valuable time together. Everyone keeps telling me that they make “the best” turkey chili recipe lately so I rose to the occasion and am so glad that I did!
The recipe was born out of reading almost 15 versions online and some tips from my dad wife who is a killer cook. My secret ingredient to elevate the flavor? Chives!
– 1 lb ground turkey
– 2 medium-sized yellow onions, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, diced
– 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
– 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
– 1 red pepper, chopped
– 1 yellow pepper, chopped
– 1 cup frozen corn
– 1/2 jalepeno, chopped
– 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– 2 tblspns cumin
– 1 tblspn chili powder
– 1/4 cup chives, chopped (Secret ingredient for another flavor layer)
– 1/4 tspn unsweetened cocoa powder (Secret ingredient number 2)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Shredded cheddar cheese
– 1 avocado, salted and sliced
– Cilantro, chopped
– Heat olive oil in a large skillet and sautÃ©e the onions for about 5 minutes
– Add the ground turkey, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and cook until lightly browned
– Move turkey and onions into the slow cooker
– Add all of the other ingredients and give it a good stir
– Cook on high for 4 hours
– Serve in bowls and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, sliced avocados, and cilantro
Want to see what the other bloggers in this round-up can’t live without? Check out their posts:
Buy a crock pot of your own: