This recipe comes from my very favorite, 101 Cookbooks!
3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut in big chunks
4 tblspns olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chopped
1/2 cup (or more) almond milk (or regular milk/cream if you are a dairy eater)
5 scallions, chopped
fried shallots, for garnish (optional)- but this is the best part!
– Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt.
– Bring the water to a boil and boil for 20 minutes
– Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan on medium heat
– Add the garlic, kale, a big pinch of salt, and saute for only 1-2 minutes
– Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork
– Slowly stir in the milk a few big splashes at a time
– If the potatoes seem dry, keep adding milk until it’s creamy and thick
– Season with salt and pepper
– Put the kale on top of the potatoes and stir it just a little
– Transfer to serving bowl, make a hole in the center of the potatoes and pour the remaining olive oil
– Sprinkle with the fried scallions (to fry, saute finely chopped in a generous amount of olive oil until crispy. Dry on a paper towel)