These healthy rice krispies treats are a household favorite in my home. Anel has asked me to make these for his birthday 7 years in a row. I always loved the traditional version growing up but this healthier, peanut buttery one is such an easy and delicious treat as an adult. Although Amalia devours them too!
Years ago I found this recipe from 101 Cookbooks and adapted it into what we make today, below. Anel actually prefers it with cashew butter but I’m a peanut butter fan myself.
-3/4 cup peanut butter
-3/4 cup agave or maple syrup
-1 tsp sea salt
-2 1/2 tsp butter
-4 cups unsweetened Rice Krispies (I use unsweetened brown rice crisp cereal)
-3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. Heat up the PB, agave, salt, and butter in a large saucepan
2. Stir until it is melted and smooth
3. Add the cereal and stir until it’s well coated
4. Take off heat and add the chocolate chips if using.
5. Place mixture in a baking dish and refrigerate for at least an hour, covered.