Well hello there! It’s been a minute since my last round-up so let’s dive right in, shall we? This month has been all about catching up on everything: work, sleep, therapy. I decided to try a completely dry Q1 instead of just dry January with no alcohol at all for Q1. We’ll see how it goes but so far I’m feeling great and am so happy with the decision.
My book will be available for pre-order in the next few weeks so I’m working around the clock on the backend to get everything ready for that. It’s both the most exciting time ever in my career and the most terrifying. But I can’t wait to show you all the cover and name VERY soon!
In the meantime, here is everything I’ve been loving, reading, and watching lately.
WHAT I’M READING & WATCHING
Because it’s been so long since my last recap there is more here than usual!
Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver: This is a tough read but man was it incredible. It won the 2023 Pulitzer Prize and was part of Oprah’s book club in 2022 for good reason. It’s about a boy born to a teenage mother in the mountains of Appalachia and his survival from abuse to foster care to success to addiction and everything in between. A+ of a book.
Britney Spears: The Woman in Me by Britney Spears: I actually listened to this one with Michelle Williams narrating. The media shared the “juicy” moments but there was so much more to it than that. Her story is tragic and will break your heart over and over again. It was interesting to hear about moments that I remember from the media but hear them from Britney’s perspective. Knowing what was going on in the background changes everything.
The Family Remains by Lisa Jewel: This was the sequel to The Family Upstairs (bar far my favorite thriller of 2023). I was dying to know what happened to the characters but the second book was just meh compared to the first. It was just way too out there to be even a little bit believable.
Leave the World Behind (Netflix): I read this book, about a terrifying cyberattack on the US, by Rumaan Alam during the pandemic and it has stuck with me ever since. I would randomly think about it regularly. When I saw that they made a movie, starring Julia Roberts, Ethan Hawke, Mahershala Ali, and Kevin Bacon, I nearly screamed. This is maybe the only case where the movie was even better than the book. Anel and I loved it and can’t stop talking/thinking about it.
Bad Surgeon: Love Under the Knife (Netflix): Paolo Macchiarini is an Italian doctor who was making big moves in his field by creating and inserting stem-cell soaked plastic windpipes in patients who needed them. He was engaged to a beautiful and smart journalist and seemingly had everything going for him… until people start to realize that everything about him was a giant con. I found myself screaming at the TV at his evil man.
American Nightmare (Netflix): Holy wow, this docuseries is a terrifying recap of a real life nightmare for a couple in California that involved a strange kidnapping, police misconduct, and an insane media frenzy.
Love Has Won: The Cult of Mother God (HBO): Another 3-part docuseries that follows a cult lead by Amy Carlson, a women who is self-proclaimed to be “Mother God” or Jesus Christ reincarnated. It is the strangest, weirdest, creepiest cult docu I’ve seen yet and that is saying a lot because I think I’ve watched them all!
5 THINGS I’M LOVING
1. Battery Operated Rechargeable Sconces: We needed some extra light on the wall behind our couch but are planning to do some renos in this room down the line so I didn’t want to waste money on hard-wiring in any lights. I found these on Amazon and they look INCREDIBLE. You can see them here. They’re completely controlled by a remote where you can also dim them or change the warmth of the light. Genius!
2. Zodiac Sweatshirt: In other loungewear news, I saw this sweatshirt when we were in New Orleans but didn’t have room in my suitcase to bring it home so I ordered it on the spot and have basically lived in it since. I love the fun bright colors so much and it’s on sale now!
3. Short Sleeved Bodysuit: Another NOLA purchase, I needed something to go under my sequined blazer (obviously) for a drag brunch and one of the gals on the trip said this was her favorite bodysuit of all time. It sucks you in so hard and is super smooth, flattering, and comfortable. You can see it styled in this Reel.
4. I Am: Daily Affirmations App: I have been having a lot of fear and self-doubt with the release of my book (so soon!) and decided to try an affirmations app. It has been shockingly helpful! For $29/year you can customize what you’re looking for in the affirmations that are pushed to your phone notifications however often you want in a day. You can pick topics like self-love, addiction, financial success, or whatever it is you’re looking for. They have hundreds of options. It’s so nice to open my phone and see a little positive message multiple times/day.
5. Boyfriend Joggers: I was at the Gap buying size 5T PJs for my two year old (that’s another whole story) when I saw these hot pink sweats out of the corner of my eye. They are so comfy and perfect for around the house. Sadly this color is sold out but they have some great ones like light blue, bright green, and a gorgeous hunter green. I think I’m going to get the black as well.