I actually made this recipe last fall after Halloween but thought I’d re-post this today so you can prep these before the biggest candy holiday of the year a week from today! I’m always craving this chococlaty peanutbuttery flavor but the real thing makes me feel sick. This alternative is healthier with no added crap.
My friend Arielle inspired me by making a healthy version of my favorite candy: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
I modified her recipe by mixing some milk chocolate in with the dark and mixing a bit of butter in with my peanut butter…Not quite as healthy as hers but definitely delicious! This is a great dessert because it’s so decadent and you can only really eat one at any given sitting.
Do you know any other homemade candy bar recipes? Dying to make Snickers next!
This recipe makes 12 peanut butter cups.
– 12 oz organic semisweet chocolate, chopped
– 4 oz organic milk chocolate, chopped
– 1/2 cup creamy organic peanut butter (the kind I used had only one ingredient- peanuts)
– 1 tbsp melted butter
– Sprinkles of sea salt
– Cupcake tins/liners
– Line your muffin tin with paper cupcake liners (my cupcake tin has 12 cups).
– Melt half of chocolate (semi-sweet and milk mixed) by placing a bowl above a pot of boiling water and stirring constantly until smooth- you could also use a double boiler for this or (gasp) a microwave, but my bowl method works great for me!
– Spoon the melted chocolate into the 12 muffin tins, barely filling the bottom of each cup.
– To flatten the chocolate in the tins, bag the tins on the counter until flat and smooth. itself out.
– Put the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes.
– In the meantime, mix together the peanut butter and butter until smooth and creamy.
– Spoon the peanut butter into each cup over the chocolate, then bang the pan on the counter again.
– Sprinkle each cup with sea salt for some extra flavor (this makes all the difference!)
– Put in the freezer for 15 minutes
– Melt the other half of your chocolate and spoon into the cups when smooth.
– Here I used my spoon to smooth out the top layer
– Put back in the freezer for 10 minutes to finish it off
– Peel back the wrappers
UM are you kidding me? These are amazing! You are Martha Stewart in the making 🙂