It’s been over a year since I started this journey of trying to drink less. I’ve had many months of “success” where I don’t drink at all for months at a time then months when I drink once a week then weeks where I drink a few times in a row and it’s all good because I’m learning as I go what feels best for my body and anxiety. I’ve learned over this time that I feel just so much better without alcohol in my life… or with very minimal alcohol anyway. So that’s where I’m at for now!
I’ve also tried seemingly every NA spirit, canned mocktail, wine, and beer imaginable and wanted to share a new list of my current favorites.
One of my favorite resources for discovering new NA spirits and drinks is Boisson. They have pretty much everything you could ever think of and it’s fun to explore their website (not sponsored FYI just a hot tip).
1. Aplos Calme: This amazing CBD drink brand now has two varieties: Calme and Arise that do just what they promise. If you’re out at a party and want to be energized, I recommend Arise (made with adaptogens). If you’re home and want to wind down for the evening or if you’re feeling stressed, go with Calme (made with hemp/cbd). I love the botanical, crisp, clean taste of it mixed with seltzer.
Aplos is what I reach for generally to replace a “stress drink” because it actually helps calm me down in addition to the ritual of it all.
Website’s description: A complex blend of citrus and herbal botanicals is infused with broad-spectrum hemp to create a spirit that calms and relaxes without the negative effects of alcohol. Serve alongside thoughtful conversation or introspection.
2. St. Agrestis Phony Negroni: This is by far the number one more recommended mocktail by friends and followers alike. I finally got to try it this week and OMG I see why! It somehow tastes like an actual negroni but without the alcohol. It makes no sense but I just ordered a case.
Website’s description: Awarded Best of Class in the 2022 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, this ready-to-drink non-alcoholic Negroni beautifully captures the essence of the original cocktail. It’s burnt-orange, bitter, and carefully balanced. Better yet, it doubles as an easy on-the-go drink or an elevated cocktail served in your favorite glassware.
This Bon Appetit review gives another great perspective on the Phony Negroni.
3. Seedlip Garden 108: Ok this stuff is amazing! It’s herbacious, botanical, and refreshing. I generally mix it with some Aplos, lime seltzer, and a drop of simple syrup at home. I also see it mixed into mocktails at a lot of bars and restaurants which is nice.
Website’s description: Seedlip Garden 108 celebrates the herbal and floral landscape of the English countryside, with flavors of hand-picked peas, fresh hay, and cucumber. The blend credits its name to the 108 days that is the average amount of time it takes peas to grow and be harvested from the day they are sown.
For years, Seedlip developed a bespoke, six-week maceration, distillation, filtration, and blending process—taking each individual botanical ingredient to be distilled separately before blending. Based in the UK, this brand uses natural ingredients and is devoted to sustainability, pledging to be carbon neutral by 2022.
4. Lyre’s Amalfi Spritz: I bring these to dinner parties all the time and love drinking them straight from the cute little can. It’s giving Aperol Spritz but without any hangover.
Website’s description: Rich, bright, and full of fine bubbles, it’s perfectly suited for on-the-go sipping and sharing with friends. The peach colored can is a nod to what’s inside: warm, juicy flavors and marigold bubbles that glisten out of the can. No matter how you serve it, Amalfi Spritz is easy to drink and brings to mind warm days in the sun, cheers at golden hour, and fiery sunsets. Are we there yet?
5. Jeng THC Cocktails: You guys know how I feel about my Jeng. This is my numero uno go-to as of late. It has 3mg of THC and 5mg of CBD so it gives me a little sparkle and giggle and calms me right down. I am in love with Jeng. My personal favorite flavors are the Moscow Mule followed by the Rhubarb Cucumber Spritz. Use my code LEMONSTRIPES15 for 15% off
6. Jeng CBD Cocktails: If you’re not into THC and just want the calming feeling without the buzz, try their CBD-only cocktails! The Jeng & Tonic is my favorite flavor for the CBD options followed by Moscow Mule.
7. Hella Cocktail Co Bitters & Soda: They have a few flavors of these super simple canned mocktails but the Classic Dry Aromatic is my personal favorite.
On another note you can always make your own bitters and soda with, well, a few drops of bitters in soda water.
8. Ghia Signature Aperitif: Ghia is definitely a polarizing spirit. It’s bitter which I love but not everyone does. If you’re a fan of a Compari cocktail, this is your jam. I drink it on the rocks in a pretty glass and out of everything on this list I think it feels the most like sipping a spirit with alcohol.
Website’s description: Born on the coasts of France and Italy, the classic non-alcoholic Apéritif is a bold combination of botanicals that kickstart the appetite and the conversation. Light and dry, an apéritif is perfect for slow-sipping and fast-talking, a drink that takes friends from sunset to sunrise. Vibrant, fresh, and satisfyingly bitter, it tastes like summer on the rocks
9. Pentire Adrift: I only just tried this for the first time after buying it based on the bottle alone. Sometimes you really can judge a mocktail by it’s cover because it’s an excellent gin alternative. I like to mix it with tonic and a lime.
Website’s description: Pentire Adrift is a botanical, non-alcoholic spirit made from unique plants native to the regions of the British seaside, the expression’s key botanical Rock Samphire is rich in iodine, vitamins C, E, and K, as well as carotenoids and flavonoids. Plus, healthy antioxidants, fatty acids, and omega 3. This spirit truly delivers from the inside out.
10. Figlia Fiore: As I’m writing this list I’m realizing how much I love a bitter spirit. Maybe it’s the Italian in me! It’s similar to Ghia but lighter and a little more floral.
Website’s description: Figlia Fiore is the signature Figlia Aperitivo: floral, bitter, and aromatic flavors come together in a luxurious, sophisticated creation. Inspired by Italian gardens and the warm bustle of outdoor dining in New York City, this spritz-like serve is made for slow, luxurious drinking and leisurely gatherings. Suddenly, we’re inspired to host a garden party. For the city-dwellers, find a spot with some fresh air and enjoy a moment of quiet sips. You deserve it.