I love how the name of this recipe has the word bread in it. It at least makes you think you’re about to eat something semi-healthy and/or bread-like. In reality this is a straight up buttery sugary cake with Nutella swirled in. Score! It makes for a lovely little breakfast or afternoon treat.
Note to self: Don’t bake this the same week that you are focusing on your health and wellness. DO bake this on a week when you want to treat yourself, indulge, and maybe impress someone special. Seriously the swirl makes it look fancy but it’s actually quite easy to make. Amateur bakers, get after it!
The recipe below makes one loaf. Recipe originally from The Italian Dish.
-1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
– 1/4 tspn salt
– 3/4 tspn baking powder
– 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 1 cup sugar
– 4 large eggs, at room temperature
– 2 tspns pure vanilla extract
– One 13-ounce jar Nutella
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees
– Lightly grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan, tapping out any excess flour.
– In a medium bowl, whisk flour with the baking powder and salt and set aside.
– In a large bowl beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
– With the mixer at medium-low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, making sure each one gets incorporated before adding the next one.
– Add the vanilla extract.
– Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating at low speed between additions until incorporated. Continue to beat for 30 seconds longer.
– Spread one-third of the batter in the prepared pan, then spread half of the Nutella on top.
– Repeat with another third of the batter and the remaining Nutella.
– Top with the remaining batter.
– Lightly swirl the Nutella into the batter with a butter knife.
– Do not overmix.
Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
– Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
– Invert the cake onto a wire rack, turn it right side up and let cool completely, about 2 hours.
– Cut the cake into slices and serve.