These easy-to-make apple pie donuts are next level, melt-in-your mouth delicious and really make it seem like you’ve put in a lot of effort when they’re actually beginner-level. These are fun to bring to a tail-gate, play date, or dinner party and feel very festively fall.
I saw a similar recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and just had to try them out for myself. As a side note, I made way too much of the filling and ended up eating it on its own, heated up, as a snack-y treat or dessert.
Air Fryer Apple Pie Donuts
– 1 can Pillsbury Grands Biscuits or Immaculate Baking Organic Biscuits
– 1/4 cup melted butter
– 1/2 cup, sugar
– 2 tsp, cinnamon
Apple filling Ingredients:
– 5-6 apples, peeled and chopped
– 1/4 cup, butter
– 2 tspn, cinnamon
– 1/3 cup, brown sugar
– 1/2 cup, water
– 1/2 tsp, salt
1. Make the filling: Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add cinnamon and give it a good stir. Add the apples, brown sugar, salt, 1/4 cup of water, and stir again.
2. Cook the filling: Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the apples soften. Add more water as needed.
3. Prep the dough: Take biscuits from the can and roll each one into a circle using a rolling pin.
4. Fill the donuts. Spoon 1-2 tbsp of the apple mix onto each circle then make it into a litle pocket by pulling the sides up around it.
5. Roll the balls: Roll each one into a ball
6. Bake: Place apple pie donuts in your air fryer an inch or two apart (I had to make 3 batches). Air fry on 380F until the outsides are nice and golden. It took me 7 minutes but I’ve read elsewhere it’s 5-6 minutes so just watch the first batch closely.
7. Make the topping: Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and the melted butter in another bowl.
8. Top the donuts: Dip each ball in the melted butter and then roll through the cinnamon sugar. Transfer to a drying rack to cool.
9. Enjoy them warm!
Photo by Julia Dags.