A great savory and sweet, hearty and crunchy salad to serve with any holiday meal. I mean who doesn’t love cheddar and bacon in a salad? This is a perfect last-minute side dish to whip up if you still need something to bring to Thanksgiving dinner this week. It’s a crowd pleaser, I promise you that!
Hearty Holiday Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
– 3/4 cup chopped candied pecans or walnuts
– 5 to 6 slices overcooked, crunchy bacon, chopped
– 3 cups arugula, kale, and/or spinach, roughly chopped
– 1/2 cup thinly sliced cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
– 1 tbs dijon mustard
– 1 tbs maple syrup
– 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
– Juice from 1/2 lemon
– Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Lay the bacon in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the bacon stripes until they’re nice and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Set aside on a paper-towel lined plate to cool. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop the bacon.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake well to combine. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the greens, cheese, and cranberries/raisins.
- Once cool, add the nuts and bacon. Add the dressing and toss well to combine.