This hearty, flavorful, and nutrient-packed grain bowl is so yummy and warming and makes for great leftovers too! You can change up the amounts of anything in the bowl, but I approximated how much I like to put in. For more protein, add chicken sausage!
Couscous & Kale Bowl:
Makes 2 to 3 servings
– 2 cups cooked pearl couscous
– 1/3 cup dried cranberries
– 1/4 cup walnuts
– 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
– 2 cups chopped kale leaves
– 1 cup roasted butternut squash, cubed
– 1 cup chopped Italian chicken sausage, cooked (optional)
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
– 1 tbs dijon mustard
– 1 tbs honey
– 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
– Juice from 1/2 lemon
– Salt and black pepper to taste
- Roast the butternut squash (directions here) or you can do this ahead of time.
- Cook the couscous according to package directions.
- While the couscous is cooking, place all of the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake until well combined. Set aside.
- Place the kale in a large bowl with a sprinkle of salt and massage gently with your hands until it becomes soft, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once the squash and couscous are done cooking, let them cool for a few minutes then mix them in with the kale.
- Add the dressing and toss well to combine.
- Add the cranberries, walnuts, onion, and optional chicken sausage and gently toss one more time.