Full disclosure on this recipe: I was trying to make spring rolls for the first time (Youtube made it look so easy!) and failed miserably. But I had all the veggies chopped and ready so I pivoted and made it into a salad that was…. kind of incredible actually.
After taking this picture, I cut up the veggies a little smaller and mixed it all into a giant, delicious, fresh, bright, tangy, herby, satisfying salad but you could definitely serve it like this as an appetizer platter too.
Deconstructed Spring Roll Salad
– 1 ripe avocado, chopped
– 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped,
– 1 red bell pepper, chopped
– 1 cup, matchstick or shredded carrots
– 1 cup, fresh basil leaves, torn
– 3/4 cup, fresh cilantro, torn
– 3/4 cup, fresh mint leaves, torn
– 2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
– Salted peanuts
– 1 tsp ginger
– 1 tsp, chili flakes
– 1 Tbs lime juice
– 1/4 cup, peanut butter (creamy)
– 4 tsp, tamari
– 2 tsp, honey
– Dash of rice vinegar
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– Water 1 tsp at a time to thin it out
1. Prep and chop all of the veggies and throw them in a bowl.
2. Mix dressing ingredients either with a whisk or in a blender (I prefer the blender). Add small amounts of water until it’s your desired consistency.
3. Pour dressing over the salad and mix it up.
4. Top with peanuts.
Photo by Julia Dags.