Happy October and happy fall! It’s been beautiful here lately and we’re embracing fall with all the activities: pumpkin picking, apple picking, hayrides, and a fun family road trip this weekend. I have been soaking in Luca’s love and Amalia’s enthusiasm for her brother and trying to be as present for the fleeting moments as possible.
Last week I drove up to Newport to speak on two panels about influencer partnerships and brand collaborations at a conference for brands and other influencers. It was so nice to be in a room with a lot of the people I interact with online! And even more fun to speak on a panel with my friend Christina from Chappywrap.
Speaking of Chappywrap, the Lemon Stripes x Chappywrap collection is dropping again the week of October 25th so mark your calendars. We ordered a lot more blankets for this round so I’m hoping they don’t sell out in a matter of minutes again but I’ll keep you posted on the exact date and time to be safe as soon as I know it.
WHAT I’M READING & WATCHING
Books – The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides– I loved this book so much, I wish I could start it all over again! Michaelides is such a great writer of thrillers with excellent and surprising twists and turns. I was so into this book that I also bought the audio version so that I could listen to it in the car.
The Husbands by Chandler Baker– I’m about halfway through this book and it has certainly piqued my interest.
The Matrix by Lauren Groff– I haven’t started this but it’s next on my list, sitting on my nightstand. I loved Fates & Furies, one of Lauren Groff’s other books, and I just saw that she came out with The Matrix. I’m looking forward to reading it. She was top of mind because a friend sent me this short story she published in the New Yorker and it reminded me of how much I love her writing
Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen– As I was looking for a link for The Matrix I saw that Jonathan Franzen also has a new book out. Ahh, it’s a good month for reading! I can’t wait to dig into Crossroads.
TV Shows – 9 Perfect Strangers (Hulu): Ok wow, I don’t even know where to start but just go watch 9 Perfect Strangers immediately and then let’s talk. Based on the Liane Moriarty novel, the show follows 9 people who sign up for a wellness retreat lead by the elusive Masha (Nicole Kidman). They soon realize they’re being drugged and the story goes in many directions after that. Melissa McCarthy is incredible in it as is Bobby Cannavale. The whole cast is wonderful and Nicole Kidman is absolutely haunting. 10/10 recommend this one.
Only Murders in the Building (Hulu): We are finally call caught up on this comedic murder mystery and I am hooked. It’s funny, it’s suspenseful, it’s ironic, and the cast is stacked with Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez as the three main characters. They start the show as strangers, but they quickly come together to try and solve a murder mystery by creating a true-crime podcast.
Into the Storm (HBO): Anel and I watched this HBO Docuseries all about QAnon and 8Chan, the website where Q makes his “drops” as he (or she) calls them. It was fascinating and terrifying but really helpful to watch to understand the whole phenomenon.
Lulurich (Prime): On a very different docuseries topic, Lularich follows the story of the infamous MLM company, LulaRoe, and how it destroyed the lives of so many of the women who sold their leggings over the years. It was fascinating and I tore right through it.
Kids’ Show- Ada Twist Scientist (Netflix): Our favorite children’s book series is now a TV show! Amalia has been loving it lately. Ada, a young scientist, her pals ask questions and find answers together on their adventures. It’s one of those shows that you feel good about your kiddo watching.
5 THINGS I’M LOVING
1. Amazon joggers ($18)- Am I a sucker for Amazon ads? Apparently so. I bought the light blue pair when the ‘zon suggested it for me and went back for the black. They’re the perfect crop, weight, and fit. I’d been looking for something like this and they’re just perfect.
2. Thrive Causmetics liquid lash extension mascara– Where has this been all my life? I met a friend for coffee last week and her lashes looked insane. She was shocked that I had never heard of this mascara that had gone viral on TikTok. I bought it on the spot and it works really well.
3. Solo Stove (on sale)- We have wanted a Solo Stove for a long time and I surprised Anel with one when I saw it was on sale for the fall firepits, backyard s’mores with the kids, and cozy nights with friends.
4. Bala Bangles– Am I a suburban mom who walks her dog with weights on her ankles? You bet! I’m here for the Bala Bangle trend. They’re an easy way to add a little extra to low-impact workouts. This is the review that finally sold me on them. I have so far only used the bangles for walking and at-home workouts but will update you guys if I figure anything else out.
5. goode health superfood blend– This superfood powder is super cool because you take a blood test and get a custom blend based on the nutrients you need and your goals (more energy, weight loss, better sleep, etc). I have been drinking this daily for the last month and it is a great snack replacement and gives me a boost of energy. My code JULIA still works for 30% off at goode health too!
Transparency note: I worked with goode health on a sponsored Instagram post last month. Inclusion in this blog post is not a part of that sponsorship, but I really love this product so wanted to share it again here.
Photo by Julia Dags.