A few days ago I posted an Instagram Story featuring a simple weeknight dinner that I was making. There was a huge response with requests to share the recipe so I’m doing just that today! It inspired me to even potentially create a whole new series called “Easy Weeknight Dinners”. Is that something that you guys would be interested in? If so, let me know and maybe I’ll make it a weekly thing. I have so many ideas for quick and easy recipes.
Rice bowls are always a favorite in my house because I can pack in the veggies and they fill us up. Lately we’ve been trying to eat at least one vegetarian dinner every week, so I’ve been trying to get creative with ways to add more protein and fat to those. I do it by adding scrambled eggs, cashews, and avocado to these bowls.
My “trick” is to make a hole in the middle of the pan with the rice and veggies to the side and scramble the eggs right in the middle so that you have one less thing to clean. Saves time and water!
Lately, I’ve started making a peanut sauce (I was craving it one night and started experimenting) to drizzle over the bowls for more flavor. I make a big batch of it to have on hand all week for other meals too. It’s even great for dipping veggies in as an afternoon snack!
Brown rice bowls with peanut sauce
– 4 cups brown rice, cooked in stock if you want animal protein
– 2 cups frozen veggies (I use a mix of corn, carrots, edamame, and beans)
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– Handful of salted cashews, chopped if you want (I use them whole)
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 tblspns, tamari/soy sauce
– 1 tbspn, toasted sesame oil
– 2-3 large eggs
– Salt and red pepper flakes to taste
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
– 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy)
– 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce (tamari is GF)
– 2 tblspns, rice vinegar
– 1 tspn, grated ginger (I buy it in a jar from Whole Foods because I use it so often)
– 2 tblspns, honey
– Dash of red pepper flakes
– 1 tspn (ish), garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, minced)
– 1/4 cup, water
– While the rice is cooking I usually make the sauce
– Mix all ingredients listed above in a blender or food processor
– Add more water if you want a thinner consistency
– That’s it!
– Cook brown rice per package instructions. I cook mine in bone broth and add ghee for extra protein and fat
– In a large pan, sauté the onion in high-heat safe oil like grapeseed or canola
– Once cooked, add the frozen veggies and stir, cook for a few minutes
– Add tamari, sesame oil, and cashews
– Make a hole in the center of the pan, add more oil if needed and scramble the eggs in the hole
– Give it all a good stir once the eggs are mostly cooked
Ok, your turn. Share your easy weeknight recipes below so we can all inspire each other to have healthier dinners this week!