It’s hard to believe Memorial Day Weekend kicks off tomorrow. Normally this would be a time of celebration with family and friends and it feels weird to be going into what is usually such a social holiday without our people.
But we’re going to be doing everything we can to celebrate in the Dzafic house. And you better that will involve festive desserts!
I pinned this berry pizza recipe last year and finally decided to give it a try yesterday. I didn’t have refrigerated sugar cookie dough and was too lazy to make (slash Amalia was too impatient) it so I used a frozen pie crust that I had in my freezer. I think the cookie dough would really turn this up a notch so will definitely be trying that next time, but it was pretty great with the pie crust too. The three of us devoured the entire thing yesterday. Oops!
The recipe included cream cheese and Cool Whip but I used Kite Hill Dairy Free cream cheese and So Delicious Cocowhip for a dairy-free version that I could eat. Anel and Amalia didn’t even know the difference.
This berry pie takes 10 minutes to make and will add festive color and fresh bright flavors to your Memorial Day BBQ, even if it’s just for you. It’s the little things these days, isn’t it?
10-Minute Summer Berry Pie Recipe
– 1 pie crust or 1 package, sugar cookie dough (or homemade!)
– 2 tbsp, strawberry jam
– 2 tbsp, lemon juice
– 1 lb, strawberries, chopped
– 1.5 cups, blueberries
– 1 package, room temp cream cheese (I used dairy-free Kite Hill cream cheese)
– 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
– 2 cups, Cool Whip (I used dairy-free Cocowhip )
– Flour to sprinkle on parchment paper
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Lightly flour a piece of parchment paper.
3. Roll cookie dough out on the parchment into a large circle (or 3-4 small ones if you want individual desserts)
4. Slide the parchment (with the dough) onto a baking sheet
5. Bake 15-18 mins, until golden brown
6. If you’re using a pie crust, just bake the pie crust for 10-14 minutes but be sure to poke holes in it with a fork first.
7. While dough/pie crust is baking, whisk lemon juice and jam.
8. Add berries and toss to coat
9. With an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add Cool Whip/Coco Whip and beat to combine.
10. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the cooled cookie/pie crust and top with the berries.
Photo by Julia Dags.