This easy weeknight pasta-bake is one of our go-to dinners because it requires minimal prep work and everyone in the family loves it. It sneakily packs in lots of leafy greens as an added bonus. I make it with chickpea pasta for extra protein and feel good about that too.
If you’re dairy-free, make it without the mozzarella topping. In my house, as you can see, I do it with half mozzarella so we can all enjoy it together.
The great part about this recipe is that you can sub in whatever fillings you want. I usually do it with chicken sausage, spinach, and goat cheese but it would also be really easy to make all vegetarian depending on your preference.
– 1 box, penne (or whatever pasta you like). I use Banza chickpea pasta for extra protein
– 1 bottle, marinara sauce (Rao’s is our go-to)
– 4 links, chicken sausage, cut into pieces OR to make it vegetarian, choose your favorite veggies like zucchini and/or eggplant
– 1/2 cup, goat cheese (optional)
– 2 cups, spinach or kale
– 1 cup, shredded mozzarella cheese
– Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to box instructions.
3. While pasta is cooking, sauté the sausage or whatever veggies you want to use in olive oil.
4. Drain pasta and mix in the sauce, goat cheese (optional), and sausage/veggies over low heat
5. Mix in the spinach until it wilts.
6. Transfer the whole kit and kaboodle to a baking pan and top with parmesan and mozzarella. I keep my side cheese-free and top Amalia/Anel’s side with the mozz.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.