I have been so busy with my cookbook and another project I’m working on (launching Sunday!) that I completely spaced on 5 Random Things in March. So hello again with my favorite post of the month. I’ve read a lot of great books, watching some fantastic shows, and have some fun favorites for you today.
Pictured Above: Shirt / Shoes / Old Madewell Jeans
WHAT I’M READING & WATCHING
The Social Climber by Amanda Pellegrino: I loved this book and couldn’t put it down. It follows Eliza Bennett, a 20-something Manhattanite who is marrying into a very wealthy family. The story alternates between current-day as she counts down to her wedding, and her time at a Christian college when she was a very different person. There is a great twist, some thriller element, comedy, and lots of drama. Trigger warning: Eating disorders.
The Wife App by Carolyn Mackler: I was lucky enough to read this book on pre-release (it comes out in June) and thought it was such a fun concept. Three divorced New York moms decide to start an app where “spouses” hire “wives” (the wives can be men or women) to help alleviate the mental load of a household. It wasn’t my favorite book but I enjoyed reading it on vacation and thought it touched on a lot of issues I have as a mom and wife.
Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson: I am currently reading this on Grace’s recommendation (she has the best book recommendations) and so far enjoying it. Grace wrote that not a lot happens but that it feels like really good people watching and so far I agree with that assessment. It is about another 1% family from Brooklyn (I’m sensing an unintentional rich New Yorker trend in my book picks this month), focusing on two sisters, Darley and Georgina, and their sister-in-law, Sasha who came from a very different background than the rest of the family. So far it’s sharp, funny, and fun to read.
TV Shows –
Shrinking (Apple+): Shrinking, starring Jason Segel and Harrison Ford and written by Brett Goldstein (Roy Kent in Ted Lasso) was a sleeper hit. We just finished the first season and loved every second of it. There were some sad moments but mostly it was laugh-out-loud funny. Shrinking was by far my favorite comedy lately.
Succession, S4 (HBO Max): I am so sad that Succession is ending after this season. Season 4 is knocking it out of the park, as a surprise to no one.
Beef (Netflix): I adore Ali Wong and everything she does. I was expecting her new Netflix series to be a light comedy however it is anything but that. It’s dark with funny parts and sometimes a little scary. I’m only a few episodes in and am very much enjoying it.
TV Shows –
Everything Everywhere All At Once: I watched this Oscar winner on the plane to Punta Cana and finally get what the hype is about. It’s really weird and at first hard to follow but it’s fantastic with a touch of family drama, a touch of comedy, a touch of sci-fi, and a touch of adventure. I can’t really explain more than that. But watch it if you can, it will blow your mind!
5 THINGS I’M LOVING
1. Ceramic Hot Rollers: My dad’s wife, Jenn, uses hot rollers in her hair and they looked so complicated that I felt intimidated to try them even though her hair always looks great. Last weekend when we were up for Easter, I forgot my wand so decided to try them out. I was shocked at how much easier they were to use than a wand and how much better my hair looked. I love that you can throw them in and then do make up or get dressed while your curls set. It feels very 1950s but I’m here for it. I did a bunch of research on the best rollers and found a set for $40 that I’m excited to play around with.
2. Monday.com: I hired a friend of mine, who is a project manager, to help me stay organized with my cookbook. She uses Monday for her big projects and set me up with a board of my own. I ended up paying for the app so I could transfer all of my to do lists for the book, Lemon Stripes, and personal stuff to one place. I love how user-friendly it is, how it sends me reminders, and how I can coordinate with other people on it. It has really changed my productivity in the best way possible.
3. Reversible Comfort Bra: Spanx sent me a press box recently and I absolutely fell in love with this bra that is a hybrid between a sports bra and regular bra. Even though it doesn’t have an underwire, it holds everything up nice and tight and is super comfortable. I bought a second one because I’ve found myself wearing it 90% of the time. It’s also reversible so you get two colors in one piece.
They also sent me their Booty Boost leggings and woah! They suck everything in and give my booty the best boost. I wear a small for reference.
Use my code LEMONSTRIPESXSPANX for 10% off plus free shipping!
4. Petplate Dog Food: We have been feeding Boots Petplate for the last month and he has solid stool (sorry TMI) for the first time in his entire life. Literally 7 years! I am shocked at how shiny his coat is, how much he loves it, and how much it has helped his digestion. We mix this with his regular kibble 50/50 to save on the cost and it does the trick. Use my code JULIA for 65% off your first box.
Transparency note: I have an Instagram partnership with Petplate but inclusion in this blog post is not a part of that. We are now regular paying customers even though the partnership is ending.
5. Rainbow-Colored Pens: In my micro-joy news of the month, I bought my favorite pen in a set of colors instead of just black and it makes me so happy to take notes on calls or write out my grocery lists with hot pink or green. $13 dollars has created all kinds of fun!
RECIPES TO MAKE THIS MONTH
Sheet Pan Salmon
Green Goddess Basil Couscous
Asian Chicken Salad
Taco Cornbread Casserole
Spring Chicken Pot Pie
Photo by Julia Dags.